Monday, January 18, 2010

Shooting a Pair of Deer


You were thinking something else, eh? This is to balance out some of the Dead Bambi/HeapBigHunter pics we tend to see published around these here parts, from time to time. This is how I shoot deer....

I was just driving along when I spotted a group of five or six deer, grazing near an overgrown pond on the outskirts of town. I happened to have my camera with me (I calls 'er "Betty," but you can call 'er... "Betty.")and the 70-300mm lens attached, so I pulled over as quietly and quickly as possible, though at least two of them kept eyes on me. I didn't have time to mess around with settings, so I just left the camera on Program, popped the lens out to its furthest reach, and started firing away.

This is easily the best shot of the group, as the deer kept some distance between themselves (not to mention, away from me) and moved around quite a bit. These two had their heads down grazing, quite still and relaxed, so I did an experiment and discovered: the "kissy noise" works on deer! As soon as I got this pic, these two separated.

I squeezed off maybe 7 pics before they all bolted toward then melted into the tree line. Little did they know that this is one well-armed redneck around whom they are infinitely safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment